This version contains improvements to data entry, templates, estimated dates, and charts.
The Database Selection Dialog offers easier startup options, including access to a "sample" database.
Translations for Slovenian have been added, and translations have been updated for Danish, German, and Polish.
A large number of problems have also been corrected.
ENHANCEMENTS / CHANGES / NEW FEATURES:
INTERNATIONAL - DATABASE COLLATING:
1) Database collating order is now set automatically for databases that are new, have their structure updated, are compacted, or repaired.
2) Collating order is no longer checked prior to opening the chart/report option views.
3) When opening a database or changing the program language, the user is still prompted if the collating order should be changed to match the current program language, but no status dialog appears afterwards.
1) GBXDBINI: initial data updated for German and Danish.
2) Translations updated for Polish, German, and Danish.
3) Slovenian translations added.
GENBOX ESTIMATED DATES:
1) The internal date estimation routine now attempts to order partially specified dates (day/month missing) that have no sort dates. The dates are ordered by event class. This change is to help "Buried Aug 1804" sort after "Died 12 Aug 1804", and "Died 1956" sort after "Born 12 Mar 1956". This routine can only be partially successful, however: when the fully specified dates do not follow the expected class order, or when the partially specified dates are shared by more than one principal, the results may not be optimal. The entry of sort dates is still recommended.
WELCOME/DATABASE SELECTION DIALOG:
1) The database selection dialog that appears at startup (when preferences is not set to restore open databases) has been changed. The radio buttons were replaced with icon & text buttons: New, Import, Sample, Open, Recent, and Cancel.
2) The new "Sample" button will open the Sample.GDB database in the "Sample" subdirectory. If not found but a "Sample.GED" is there, a new database will be created by import, silently. Or, the Smythe.GED file in the application directory will be used. This button makes it easier for new users to try out Genbox.
1) The "Smythe.GED" GEDCOM file has been renamed to "Sample.GED". Some JPEG pictures are now included. These are installed to the subdirectory "Sample", under the main application folder.
2) Added a few template code examples.
EVENT TEMPLATES, SOURCE TEMPLATES:
1) A backslash can precede any character to mean "output following character without interpretation". A double backslash is used to output a backslash. You can use this to output a space before a colon, or override sentence capitalization.
2) A backslash appearing as part of a file path, as in "c:\this\is\a\test.exe", outputs normally, without needing to be doubled. The match condition for this is: colon, alpha, or digit before; alpha or digit after.
3) Period (full stop) characters that are immediately followed by alpha or digit are no longer considered sentence terminators. This change is for text like "http://www.google.com", so that "com" is not capitalized.
4) Any sentence beginning with a word terminated by a colon, such as "http:", will not be automatically capitalized.
1) The "[ET]" (event subtype name) template code now includes a leading indefinite article by default. Thus, if the subtype is "Client", then the [ET] code would produce "a client". If the subtype is "Administrator", the [ET] code would produce "an administrator". The [1ET] code can be used to get just "adminsitrator", and the [0ET] code will return just "an". Note: you will need to change any "an [ET]" template fragments to just "[ET]" in your existing event templates.
NOTES / TEMPLATES:
1) Template codes that specify a witness name by numeric sequence, as in [W1], now support the "when focus individual" switch (%), as in [W1%]. This feature allows note text to be specific to a witness (a witness note). If surrounded by parentheses, then the witness name is hidden, allowing the code to be used for selection only in an angle-bracket group. A note text example: "<[(W1%)]This prints only when Witness 1 is the focus. |This prints for everybody except witness 1. >This prints for all principals and witnesses."
1) Places: entering place names has been changed to be more similar to entering individual names (both are links to data records). Once a place value has been entered into a field, the field value is then locked against editing. The DELETE key can be used to delete the link to the place and enter a new value. This change was made so that users won't try to "edit" a place name (like correcting a spelling error) in a view other than the Places View, because editing the displayed place value simply created new place names.
2) Citations View, Cited Sources Page: the "Source" name is also locked against local editing. Press DEL to delete the link.
3) Correspondence View: the correspondent and researcher are also locked against local editing. Press DEL to delete the link.
1) Missing citation individual references are now updated.
2) Estimated dates are now refreshed.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - SUMMARY PAGE:
1) Events List: the "Subject" column is now the "Subject/Detail" column. When there is no subject value, the "detail" text value from the event will be shown, if any. This includes attributes such as occupation, cause of death, and religious affiliation.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - IDENTIFIERS PAGE:
1) Clicking on an empty Event Link button will bring up the "Select Defining Event" dialog. Previously, the button for this purpose that appears below the list had to be selected.
2) The event link icons now include the "link" arrow in the lower left corner.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - FAMILY PAGE:
1) The "Place" column now displays the full place name, including the local site.
LISTS VIEW - CITATIONS LISTS:
1) The "name" sort on Citations lists now sorts by the first Individual referenced in the citation. This change was made for performance reasons, as the previous sort on the "name" of the citation required recalculation of the name for each comparison. The name is not stored as part of the citation record because it contains parts dependent on the select program language.
LIST COLUMN HEADERS:
1) Single-letter column labels have been replaced by icons: Summary Page, Identifiers Page, Attributes Page, Events Page; Citations - Assertion Page; Places - Names Page; Correspondence Log Page, Correspondence Pick Dialog; Project Pick Dialog; Report Options - Sections Page.
1) Operation Page: added Individuals View Summary option: "Allow place column overflow". This controls whether long place names are allowed to overflow into the Subject column when there is no subject value. Previously, this was the default condition; now it can be set by the user.
1) Format page: Added the box event content option "Hide label-only content". When selected, events that would show only a label (because the current event part options don't match any values in the event record) are excluded from the box.
1) GEDCOM-specific text strings now remain in English.
2) Corrected save/load of queries.
1) Event source citations: the individual references are now initialized.
2) Added check and warning message for GEDCOM lines longer than 1000 characters.
3) Corrected processing of import options when limited to flag definitions and identifier types.
4) Surname-prefix sorting exclusion is now initialized.
5) Record modified dates are initialized to date/time of import when not specified in GEDCOM file.
6) Warning message 'Unsupported Tag "_DETAIL" in Context "Source"', for general source citation on individual, has been corrected.
1) When "Linked Sources only" is checked, records for higher sources linked to lower sources are now also included.
2) Higher sources remain linked to lower sources in the exported database.
3) Source notes are now correctly exported.
4) Individual lists are correctly exported.
5) Queries used for key individuals now work correctly.
6) General surety level for individual is now exported/imported.
DATA STRUCTURE - INTERNAL ESTIMATED EVENT DATES:
1) Moved storage of Genbox internally-estimated dates to separate data field, for better data integrity.
2) Adjusted calculation of internal estimated dates to handle multiple events on same date.
3) Adjusted ordering to better handle user-entered "Before" and "After" qualifiers, both on normal dates and partial dates.
1) GBXDBINI: English identifier types and flags are now set to "EN" instead of "ENU".
2) Name Pick Dialog: accents on characters are now ignored when "phonetic" search is checked.
3) "[ET]" sentence template code is now in output language (displays the name of the event subtype).
4) "[E]" sentence template code now includes the indefinite arcticle "a/an" only for English. In German, "ein/e" appears instead.
5) Added flag icons to language dropdown lists in Event Types and Data Setup views
6) Added "Themed" appearance to all language translations buttons.
7) The decimal separator character correct for the current language is now recognized by the numeric data entry boxes.
8) Corrected setting of locale in non-English language installations.
1) List Boxes: additional checks for buffer overrun conditions were added.
2) Rich Text Boxes: "Select All" no longer includes a phantom CRLF at the end.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - SUMMARY PAGE:
1) The "Subject/Detail" field now checks for max text length. Previously, detail text longer than 250 characters would cause a buffer overrun, leading to a fatal error.
2) Events List: when a place is selected, the menu options "Magnify Place" and "Mark/Unmark Place" are now enabled.
3) Events List: corrected a refresh problem when deleting place names.
4) Adding children using ID numbers: the pick dialog now only appears once.
5) Name entry: underlines entered as part of name are now preserved.
6) Newly added events/event dates on the Summary Page are now sorted correctly in all situations.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - PEDIGREE PAGE:
1) Grandparents and great-grandparents that are shown are now the "preferred" parent families. The "exclude" flag is also honored.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - IDENTIFIERS PAGE:
1) After entring a new identifier and pressing TAB, the notes fields now become enabled.
2) Double-clicking on the Identifier Type dropdown no longer causes previously deleted identifiers to appear.
INDIVIUALS VIEW - PARENTS PAGE:
1) When deleting a family link with another family link lower in the pick list, the pick list is now updated properly.
2) Checking the "Preferred" flag on a parent family now causes it to be cleared for other parent records for the current individual.
3) Surety setting on multiple birth group is now saved and displayed correctly.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - EVENTS PAGE:
1) Database View-only Mode: the event pick selector no longer has options to add new event records or change event type.
2) Adding Witnesses: Corrected entry/display of witness when clicking below data entry box.
3) Deleting Witnesses: a confirmation dialog now appears first.
4) Text added then cleared from the detail field remains cleared.
5) Citation icon on secondary data now changes to "enabled" state when data entered.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - FAMILY PAGE:
1) Clicking the "preferred" checkbox now clears the setting from other family records for the current individual.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW - CONTACTS PAGE:
1) When running the expired evaluation version, the "Prompt to Register" dialog no longer appears in a loop.
2) Contact records now appear blank when there is no data to display and the program is in view-only mode. The same correction also made for several other pages of the Individuals View.
PLACES VIEW - LINKS PAGE:
1) Merged places: the links tab is now underlined when there are links to view.
PLACE PICK DIALOG:
1) Corrected display of place names when using HOME/END keys.
CITATIONS VIEW - CITED SOURCES PAGE:
1) Corrected save of "Researcher": researcher is not updated to match the current researcher unless the record is edited.
CITATIONS VIEW - ASSERTION PAGE:
1) Adding a source by source ID number, then clicking below, now works correctly.
1) Corrected place name sort order for saved place lists.
1) The "Reload" button is now enabled only when a saved query has been edited. It will reload the query, wiping out the changes.
2) The "is NOT" match subqueries have been corrected.
CORRESPONDENCE PICK FILTER:
1) Subject filter text will now match anywhere in the subject. Case is ignored.
1) Corrected a problem with undetected invalid events before/after death.
1) Tip dialog text now starts at beginning of tip following a program language change.
2) Version numbers that displayed in the "How to Register Dialog" and elsewhere were removed.
3) Date Converter, Date Calculator, Relationship, and Soundex dialogs are now "pinned" by default.
4) Progress Dialog: the default title 'Genbox Family History' is now used by the "Refresh Data" command rather than displaying the last used title.
5) Media Preview Window: When moving from "View 1" to "View 6/View 12", a full set of pictures is now displayed. Previously, the view would always start with the current picture. If the current picture was at the end or close to the end of the list, then empty boxes would result.
1) Chart width/height ratio corrected for metric use.
2) Sizes are now stored to nearest 1/1000 inch, or nearest 1/100 mm
1) Format Page: "Label blank basic events" has been corrected.
2) Corrected problems with the "collateral relatives" options.
3) Descendant/everyone charts: blank boxes resulting from unknown spouses no longer appear.
4) Corrected the fatal error that sometimes occurred when radial text was chosen for the first generation of an ancestor fan chart.
1) Key Page - Labels Layout: when preferences are set to metric units, the "(in)" labels change to "(mm)".
2) Sections page: corrected interaction between "New page for each generation" and manual setting of new page for each section.
3) Custom reports: the "Headings" tab is now disabled when layout is set to labels or envelopes.
4) Custom reports, envelopes: corrected storage of return address.
1) Fixed "Exclude" field setting for all layouts.
2) Envelopes Layout: corrected display of return address.
3) Places - Local Sites, Labels Layout: produces labels as expected.
4) Labels layout: label height has been corrected.
5) Event templates: A sentence terminator of "?" or "!" is now preserved in the output.
6) Prepositions/pronouns for unknown gender have been corrected.
7) When "ID numbers" is selected on the Style page, the spouse names now also include ID numbers.
8) The Style page "Children names - given only" option is now working.
9) Note text: a backslash can be used before a lowercase word to defeat the automatic sentence capitalization. In some cases, the following word would then be capitalized instead; this has been corrected.
10) Note text: when a general or research note is explicitly included in a sentence template (using the [G] or [R] template code), it will be considered integral to the sentence, and content options for note text will be overridden.
11) Web Reports, Index entries: hyperlink page offsets have been corrected.