ENHANCEMENTS / NEW FEATURES:
In this version, several enhancements have been made as part of the initial effort toward supporting multiple languages.
1) Added gender qualifiers (m, f, u, o) for primary individual [P], spouse [S], other individual [O], and witness [W]: [Pm] will match a male primary, [Pf] a female primary, [Pu] a primary of unknown gender, and [Po] a primary of "other" gender. The keywords without a gender qualifier will match a person of any gender. With these new qualifiers, it is possible to construct template sentences with optional parts that match principals only when they have specific genders.
2) In addition to the qualifiers on P, S, O, and W of "+" for "show full name always" and "-" for "never show pronoun", the qualifier "=" has been added to mean "always show pronoun". This can be used to override default processing, which is to use the pronoun only when the last mentioned name is the same. Note: care must be taken that context will make clear the correct antecedent for the pronoun.
3) In addition to the possessive case qualifier "P" (which produces "his", "John's", etc.), the case qualifiers "N" (nominative, for "he", "she"), "I" (indirect object, for "him", "her"), "D" (direct object, same as indirect object in English but varies for other languages), and "X" (reflexive, for "himself", "herself") can now be added to [P], [S], [O], and [W]. These qualifiers indicate the proper forms that a corresponding pronoun should take if a pronoun is to be used. When no case qualifier is specified, the default is nominative ("he", "she").
EVENT TEMPLATES VIEW:
1) General page: added language selection to "Show Event Groups" filtering.
2) General page: added language data enty field. Event templates can now be defined for any of the installed languages.
3) General page: added "Full set" checkbox. When checked and the selected language does not have a full set of event templates, the missing event types are shown in the secondary data font style.
4) If one of the "secondary data" records is current, you can select "Add Event Tag to Selected Language" from the Data menu. This is the first step in translating a tag into a new language.
5) Templates page: the column "Label" has been added. This can store a language-specific name for the template, which will show on the pick list on the Events page. The "Type" text identifies the template; when templates of the same type for an event tag have been defined for multiple languages, the correct language version will be selected on output.
6) Witnesses page: the columns "Singular" and "Plural" have been added. These can store language-specific text for the role name. The plural name will be used in the [WWR] template code when multiple witnesses share the same role.
7) Data Menu: Added option "Update Empty Language Fields". When selected, user is asked to confim whether Event Template records with empty language settings should be updated to the current setting for program language. This operation should be performed once for existing Genbox databases.
EVENT SENTENCE PREVIEW DIALOG:
1) A pick dialog for "Subtype" has been added. This allows selection from the predefined event sentence templates for the current event tag.
2) The "Make This Default for Subtype" button will update the default template for the currently selected subtype.
3) New template subtypes for the current event tag can be added by typing in a new name and clicking on "Make This New Subtype".
WITNESS PREVIEW DIALOG:
1) A button labeled "Make This Default for Role" has been added. When clicked, the current template becomes the default template for the indicated role.
2) New role templates for the current event tag can be added by first entering a new role name and then clicking the "Make New Role Template" button.
1) The previous "Language for Dates" option on the Dates page has been replaced with "Language for Program" and "Language for Output" on the Operation page.
2) The language choices now include the full list of languages currently installed under Windows.
3) A second date part separator has been added on the Dates page, so that the separator between the second two parts can be independent of the selection of separator for the first two parts.
LANGUAGE TRANSLATION STATUS:
1) For all languages, the month names and weekday names have been implemented, both in full and abbreviated form. This affects the display and data entry of dates, and the text on the Calendar reports.
2) Pronouns, prepositions, and other "closed class" words have been implemented for some languages.
3) Some of the event templates have been translated: Norwegian (103), Dutch (100), Danish (13), German (5), Swedish (5), Italian (4). Note: the new event templates will be present in new databases. To use the new language templates in an existing database, you will need to import them.
4) No program text (menus, windows, messages) has been translated in this version.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW, EVENTS PAGE:
1) A "Link" button has been added. When clicked, the Event Templates View is opened to the corresponding event type.
2) The sentence template is shown in the "auto-generated text" font style when the default template for the event type is being displayed.
1) Check Links now verifies there is at least one Individual Names record for each Individual record.
2) Options for when to save changes to preferences have been removed. Preferences are now always saved.
3) Date entry: sort dates (a date appearing in brackets, as in [15 June 1845]) can include additional text after the valid date. This can be used to enter time of day for sorting events occurring on the same day, or for any comments that should be excluded from the output.
4) Deleting events from the Summary, Family, or Attributes page now deletes associated records as well.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW, SUMMARY PAGE:
1) Individuals with no identifier records now have one created by default based on the composite name. Previously, individuals missing all identifier records had their composite names set to blank.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW, IDENTIFIERS PAGE:
1) A warning message now appears when the last "preferred" check is cleared. The first identifier will become the "preferred" identifier by default.
INDIVIDUALS VIEW, EVENTS PAGE:
1) Corrected problem saving edits to sentence template from preview window when current individual was the spouse in a family event.
2) For BAPM/CHR events, corrected problems entering godparents who do not have a family record.
3) Corrected problem with saving event notes where an extra copy would sometimes appear on an unrelated event record.
4) The "Birth" blank basic event and other directional basic events now appear as choices on the pick list even when their reversed form is present (such as "Childbirth" fo Birth).
PICK DIALOG FILTERS:
1) When pick dialogs with active filters are reopened, the initial display of records is now correct.
1) Charts with freehand lines now print correctly (problem occurred in 3.1.3).
1) Bibliography: the 3-em dash indicating "same author as previous" is now applied only for repeating authors, not for places or other initial elements that happen to be the same as the previous entry.
2) Bibliography: corrected problems with sorting entries.
3) Child block intro sentence: corrected context problem that sometimes showed wrong place.
4) Basic and Group A,B,C,D flags on "reverse" direction of event templates are now processed correctly on reports.
5) Numbering of individuals on descendant reports following "Male Only" or "Female Only" lines of descent have been corrected.
6) On a descendant "Direct Lineage" report, full treatment is now given to the target descendant.
7) Family Group Reports: fixed problems with cascading to ancestors/descendants with more than 20 generations. Also improved speed of this report generation.
8) Family Group Reports: fixed problem with selection of events by group (A, B, C, D).
IMPORT FROM GEDCOM DATABASE:
1) The problem importing from FTW 10/11 has been corrected.
EXPORT TO GENBOX DATABASE:
1) Corrected display of status window.
2) Corrected export of lists.
1) Corrected a problem with the "Refresh Data" operation that would cause the "Check Links" operation to report broken links, when in fact the links were fine.
2) A missing Spouse to Family Link is now detected and corrected by the internal FindFamily routine. Also, when duplicate family records are merged, the remaining Spouse to Family links are now verified. These changes correct for some strange behavior observed with a missing Spouse to Family link.
3) When a second database is opened, windows open on the first database are no longer closed first.
4) The "Higher Place" field on the Place Pick Dialog now shows the full higher place, including any default nation.